Archive for Stop puppy biting
Your goal to start with is to teach your puppy how to control the force of his/her biting. Your puppy’s littermates will initiate this process and then it is up to you to continue on with it when your new puppy arrives home. This will ensure (not guarantee) that if your dog does bite someone in the future the damage will be minimized. When you have given your puppy sufficient feedback regarding the strength of his bite only then can you begin to reduce the prevalence of the biting behavior.
1. If you catch the biting problem early on it may be easy to rectify. Just try to redirect the biting from your flesh to a toy or chew bone. For very young puppies this method is often all you’ll need do. As soon as your pup starts to bite your hands just let out a firm “No!” and replace your fingers with the chew toy (or ice cube if your puppy is teething).
2. This is probably the most popular method and my personal favorite. Make your puppy think he is hurting you each time he has a nip at you. This method replicates the way dogs sort out this biting amongst themselves. When puppies are biting and nipping each other it only stops when one puppy lets out a yelp. We can use this natural way dogs learn by letting out an Ouch! or an Arrr! every time one of our puppy’s bite. The trick is to startle your dog with your voice, and then pull away and stop playing with your puppy for a while. Your pup will soon learn that when he starts to bite, his playmate (you) goes away.
3. Teach your puppy the obedience training command “Leave It!”. This method works great but is more suitable for older puppies.
4. In bad biting cases as soon as your puppy latches onto your hand say “No!” and quickly put your thumb inside his mouth under his tongue, and your other finger under his chin. Hold it there for about 10 seconds (not too tightly). This will feel uncomfortable to your puppy plus he won’t be able to bite you.
“Always Praise And Reward A Gentle Mouth And Ignore Or Withdraw From Inappropriate Nipping”
5. Again if your puppy has a severe biting problem you can try this training technique. Put on a pair of gloves and apply a foul tasting substance to them (something your dog doesn’t like). Your dog will soon learn that if he bites you, it won’t be tasty! This method produces a strong negative association to your dog every time he decides to bite you. Some dogs are smart enough to realize that when you take your foul tasting gloves off, it is fine to sink their fangs into you again!
6. For older puppies (around 6 months) this is a sure fire technique to stop puppy mouthing. Put a pinch or choke collar on your puppy and each time he bites you give the lead a short sharp tug. This correction will form an unpleasant association to your dog every time he bites you. It won’t take him long to stop. Some trainers believe this method to be fairly extreme, and I agree that you would only need to call on it in very rare circumstances – I have never needed to go to this level. I believe it’s far more effective to educate your puppy rather than inflicting punishment or trying to extinquish a behavior altogether.
How to stop a puppy from biting – these methods have been recommended to me, but I have never tried them myself:
Fill up an empty can with rocks or coins. Each time your puppy starts biting say No! and give the can a shake. Apparently puppies hate this rattling noise.
If you’re worried that you may have an overly aggressive puppy on your hands, please seek the advice of an experienced animal behaviorist or dog trainer.
Like I mentioned earlier, the most important piece of advice regardless of which training method you choose is to be consistent and provide the clear feedback your puppy needs to learn.
Being able to stop puppy from biting, is a problem for all dog lovers around the world. Nipping and biting usually starts as fun play, but you need to stop puppy from biting as soon as they show this tendency.
There is an essential stage of puppy development where biting is a necessity – the teething stage.
The teething stage is the only acceptable time when biting can be tolerated, and to stop puppy from biting humans, an alternative must be provided as a distraction.
Puppies want to sink their teeth into almost everything during the teething stage. The hands, feet, fingers, buttons, and loose clothing, are all open game if you do not stop puppy from biting.
Once and For ALL!
Generally, puppy socialization and biting training go together nicely. Remember that in order to stop puppy from biting, you should never hit or slap the puppy. The puppy will simply think you are playing and try to bite more, or worse still, will be traumatized and become afraid of you.
As with most behavioral problems, the best way to stop puppy from biting is to encourage the preferred behavior and to discourage unacceptable behavior. It goes without saying, that while you are trying to stop biting puppy, you should never play games such as tug-of-war, wrestling, or chasing games. This only serves the purpose to encourage more nipping and biting.
Consistency and clear communications are essential in trying to stop biting puppies. Therefore, you must train everyone around you to enforce your rules and strategies exactly as you do it yourself. Not only will this stop puppy from biting, it will ensure that the puppy is never confused. When a team of people are working together, the result comes much quicker than doing it on your own
If you do not clearly communicate to your puppy that biting and nipping is unacceptable, then why should you expect that they know what they are doing wrong. If you seriously want to stop puppy from biting, you need to ensure that the puppy clearly understands the guidelines and boundaries that you have put in place. Clear commands, plus clear actions, will ensure that you can stop puppy from biting quickly and seamlessly.
In some extreme cases, puppies are attempting to bite to assert their dominance over the owner. In this instance, you need to stop puppy from biting immediately, and take concentrated steps towards ensuring this trait is unlearned very quickly.
You must quickly establish yourself as the Alpha pack leader, and stop puppy from biting by following your example. Always attempt to redirect any biting of flesh towards a chewing bone or chewing toy. In young puppies, this step is usually all you need to stop puppy from biting immediately.
If you cannot stop puppy from biting, the failsafe technique is to make the puppy think you are in pain each time he nips you. When in a litter or pack situation, nipping of puppies is extremely common until pain results in one yelping. We can harness this natural teaching method that is already an inbuilt instinct, to help to stop biting puppy.
The trick is to startle the puppy, make a growling voice, and then stop playing for a short period of time. This will stop puppy from biting quickly, as they learned that when they bite their playmate, their playmate goes away.